Welcome to Pipistrello
Pipistrello is a FPGA development board for Xilinx Spartan-6 parts in 324 BGA package, desiged by Saanlima Electronics.
For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The first batch of LX45 boards are back from the assembly house in Austin, Texas and are available for $149.95 + shipping.
Note that the board now has female headers mounted on the wing connectors.
Shipping via USPS Priority mail is $5.95 within US and $23.95 to Europe.
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Pipistrello Rev 2.0 Hardware Description
FPGA: Spartan-6 LX9, LX16, LX25 or LX45 in 324 BGA package
Flash memory: 128 Mbit SPI flash memory (Micron N25Q128A13ESE40G) wired for 1x, 2x or 4x wide data path
On-board DRAM: 64 MBytes (32Mx16) of LPDDR memory (Micron MT46H32M16LFBF-5) clocked at 200 MHz (up to 800 MBytes/s transfer rate) in 60 BGA package
USB device interface: High-speed (480 Mbits/s) interface using a 2-channel FTDI FT2232H chip. Channel A is wired for JTAG. Channel B is wired for serial or async FIFO mode.
DVI/HDMI interface: Full HDMI interface (including I2C level translators for DDC) using a 19-pin HDMI type A connector
Audio output: Two-channel audio output
Micro-SD card: Socket for micro-SD card, wired for SPI or native (4x wide) SDIO interface
PMOD interface: Double-row PMOD connector that will allow the use of a wide range of PMOD devices
LED indicators: Power (green), config state (yellow), five user-defined
User I/O: Papilio-style wing interface with 48 user-defined I/O signals. The boards have female headers installed on the wing interface.
Form factor: Similar to Papilio One (2.9" x 2.7")
Board design files
Board design files Copyright Saanlima Electronics 2012
- schematic (pdf)
- board outline top (pdf)
- board outline bottom (pdf)
- Eagle schematic file
- Eagle board file
Xilinx ISE files
- Generic ucf file, edit as needed Updated 5/19/2013
- EDK board description files Unzip and copy Saanlima directory to C:\Xilinx\XX.X\ISE_DS\EDK\board
- Linux_on_Pipistrello UPDATED! 2/16/2013
- Arduino-1.5.2_on_Pipistrello Arduino-1.5.2 ported to Pipistrello and running on a 32-bit Microblaze processor at 100 MHz
- Pacman via HDMI
- Microblaze for Linux Howto.pdf
- Jim Duckworth's excellent "Microblaze MCS" howto
- EJ Pol's great "Pipistrello on Ubuntu" howto
The bit files can be loaded to ram (fpgaprog -v -f <bitfile>) or written to flash (fpgaprog -v -f <bitfile> -b bscan_spi_lx45_csg324.bit -sa -r)
- pacman game Can be played with the GadgetFactory LogicStart wing
- HDMI test This is a modified version of Xilinx xapp495, default is VGA but pulling one of A0 - A5 to 3.3V will select higher resolution
- linux.bit Note: this must be put in flash since it has the linux kernel and file system in addition to the fpga bit file
- bouncing rectangle Arduino example using HDMI Note: this must be put in flash since it has the program in addition to the fpga bit file
JTAG programming utility (including binary):